Thursday, June 18, 2009

1926-2009


I was about 10 years old when I made the mistake of ordering chow mein at a Chinese restaurant in Virginia. When my plate of thick beige noodles covered in a cloudy clear goop was
delivered, I was certain they brought me the wrong thing. I never ordered chow mein outside of Fall River again. Sadly, I may never be able to order chow mein in Fall River either! Good Luck to the Wong's, I hope you can rebuild quickly.

On a lighter note, what does this mean for the future of Fall River politics? Will the absence of the Hoo Mee chow mein noodle affect the results of the upcoming election? No longer armed with the savory protection of Hoo Mee chow mein, will politicians be forced to offer platforms, ideas, solutions, etc?

I was speaking with a senior citizen shortly after Leo Pelletier had announced his support for LNG. The person was very angry with Leo. As I recall, her comment went something like this, "first, he didn't even have any meat in the chow mein at his event, now he is supporting LNG!" While the fire at the company is tragic and I hope they can rebuild quickly, it will be interesting to have an election where voters will have to select candidates based on the content of their platform and not the content of their chow mein.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

its to bad because the damage may have been less, accept the fire dept was using a reserve pumper truck that broke down right in front of the building. not to mention less firefighters because of layoffs.
please rebuild ASAP

Anonymous said...

My main chow is gone :-( And so sorry for the Wongs.

Anonymous said...

please its up the street..no excuses maybe they are too old!!!

johnybfallriver said...

I pray to the spirit of China Ryal that hey will rebuilt! Right? Come on they have to, if not I will try and buy it, I would have to rename it "Cabral's Crunchy Noodles" the box would be red & green but other then that I would not change a thing. How long will they be down? I will be posting my extra gravy bags on ebay if anyone needs some. I also made the mistake of getting chow Mein someplace else and it was no FR noodle.

WJ Bloggah said...

Every comment I made on the Herald News website about the influence of Chow Mein Sandwichs on local election results has been deleted. Wasupwitdat? Thank you Shamrock for recognizing and addressing this very real (and very ridiculous) political hotbutton issue. Maybe the Herald will do like they've been doing lately and steal from this blog for ideas for another article...

Anonymous said...

Hey -- that's sangwiches :)

Anonymous said...

The Wong's could make more money if they opened an Asian Massage Parlor at their current site.
The anticipation of a chow mein sandwich becomes of diminished significance when one anticipates a happy ending.

New England Bites said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hoo-Mee is back open! YAY I got 6 boxes shipped to me for Christmas from my Grandma!!!